Gosia Poraj, born in 1982, now lives and works in London. Received Masters Degree in 2006 at the Academy of Fine Arts in Katowice (Poland) specialising in printmaking.
Throughout the years following her degree she focused on coloured block printing. After relocating to London in 2012 she moved towards painting and exploring watercolour techniques which is currently her main medium. With works sold across 3 continents she consistently develops her practice as a professional artist.
Ephemeral and blurry recollections of landscapes drift into impressions and feelings; senses that I translate into visual forms of shape and colour. During painting process I employ my deep observation in order to distill and to describe the surrounding world with the least amount of visual elements. This decluttering is reflected in my minimal style and my reluctance towards narratives supported by a meticulous technique and original aesthetics.
My technique is strongly derived from my printmaking seen through the use of layering and blending colours. Because of the nature of the inks which leave no room for corrections, I tend to plan ahead the next layers, throughout the whole process of creating an image. Philosophical explorations of the mechanisms of memory and dreams have also influenced my work on many levels; just as dreams form as illogical and scattered visions, my paintings mirror this sense of the surreal. My works tend to appear collage-like, as if shown from different angles and dimensions without a distinct perspective. However while on verge of being purely abstract, the root of inspiration is sometimes visible giving the viewer the ability to lead their way through the work.
My award-winning works have been exhibited in the UK and abroad.
Please sign up for my newsletter here
Group / soloshows / awards:
- 2017 – Big Brockley Art Show, Brockley Art House, London
- 2017 – Spring salon, Candid Arts Centre, London
- 2016 – Edge of ordinary 5, Espacio Gallery, London
- 2016 – In Translation, Espacio Gallery, London
- 2015 – Art Maze, Bargehouse Gallery, Oxo Tower, London
- 2014 – Open Art Competition at the Black Swan Gallery – AWARDED WORK ‘DAWN’ FOR BAX FAMILY AWARD
- 2014 – Saatchi Art – Featured Artist included in Collection ‘Originals for 1000$ and less’
- 2014 – Art Fair at Number 57
- 2014 – Featured Artist on Works.io
- 2012 – International Print Triennial Society in Krakow, SMTG Krakow, Poland
- 2012 – X Polish Quadrennial of woodcut and linocut – BWA Olsztyn, Poland
- 2007 – Galeria Wypuklodruku, ASP Katowice – Group Exhibition
- 2006 – Galeria, ASP Katowice – Group Exhibition
- 2006 – SOLO Exhibition – MA graduation exhibition, BWA Katowice
- 2005 – Light / Dark, Galeria na schodach, Katowice, Poland
- 2003 – III Red, Blue, Yellow curated by Carmen Grau Polytechnic University of Valencia, Sala de Exposiciones UPV, Valencia, Spain, Accademia di Belle Arti